Utility Fees

Utility fees include charges for water, sewer, garbage and recycling, and are sent out quarterly, as per below.

Water and sewer are fully metered and you pay based on how much you use. You will receive a 10 per cent discount if we receive your payment on or before the due dates.

Quarter Covers the Period Meters Read (month's end) Billing date (month's end) Due Date (30 days after billing date)

1 Jan, Feb, Mar March April May 31
2 Apr, May, Jun June July Aug. 31
3 Jul, Aug, Sept September October Nov. 30
4 Oct, Nov, Dec December January Feb. 28


Utility Payment Options

There are many ways to pay your utility fees on time to avoid penalty. Find the option below that works best for you and never miss another deadline.

Financial Institution: Most financial institutions offer the following payment options: in person, ATM, online or telephone banking. When making a payment through your bank, use the six digit utility account number as shown on the front of your Metered Utility Statement. Ensure that you are using the utility account number and not the folio number—payments made to a folio number will not be directed to the correct account. Each Financial Institution lists the payee (the District of West Vancouver-Utility) in a different manner, so check with your bank for details. Payments must be made on the due date by 12 a.m. Please retain your receipt showing the exact date and time of payment to avoid the penalty.

Mail: Make your cheque payable to the District of West Vancouver. Payment must be received by the Finance Department on or before the due date to avoid a loss of discount. Postmarks are not accepted as the payment date, so mail your payment early. Lost or delayed payments by Canada Post are subject to a loss of discount.

Post-dated Cheque: Drop off your post-dated cheque at the Municipal Hall, or mail it in early; we will hold your cheque until the date indicated.

Drop Box: Place your payment along with the bottom portion of your Metered Utility Statement in a sealed envelope and place it in the mail slot located at the entrance to Municipal Hall (either the Fulton or 17th Street entrance). On the evening of the due date, the drop box will be cleared after 12:00 a.m. Payments received after the box is cleared will be subject to a loss of discount.

In Person at Municipal Hall: Bring your Metered Utility Statement to the Finance counter located on the main level of Municipal Hall and pay by cash, cheque or debit card. Credit Cards are not accepted for tax and utility payments. The Finance Department is open Monday – Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. To avoid waiting in line at the counter, visit well before the due date. Post-dated cheques are accepted.

Utility Auto Debit Plan: This is a voluntary program that authorizes the District to withdraw the balance owing on your utility account from your bank account on each due date. This program ensures you never miss a utility due date again. See below for details.

Utility Auto Debit Plan

Never miss the discount again.

The Utility Auto-Debit Plan is a voluntary program that authorizes the municipality to automatically withdraw the discounted amount from your bank account on the due date shown on your Metered Utility Statement. There are four withdrawals each year. You will continue to receive a statement prior to each withdrawal.

To enrol in this plan, simply complete the authorization form, attach a VOID cheque and return them by fax, mail, email or in person to the Finance Department 10 business days before the first withdrawal date.

All of the forms you will need are provided here:

Utility Auto Debit Authorization Form

Utility Auto Debit Cancellation Form

Utility Auto Debit Bank Account Change

Additional Notes: Review the terms and conditions on the form prior to starting the plan. If you would like to cancel the automatic withdrawals, notify the Finance Department in writing and fill-out the Utility Auto Debit Cancellation Form. If you have sold your property, cancel your automatic withdrawals and consult with your solicitor. If your bank account has changed, complete the bank account change form.

This plan does not include property tax payments.

Change of Mailing Address

It is very important that we have an up-to-date address for you in our records to help ensure you receive your utility bills.

If your address has changed, please complete a Change of Address form and submit it by one of the options below:

  • By email
  • By mail to 750 – 17th Street, West Vancouver, BC V7V 3T3

If you are the property owner, utility bills will be mailed to you. The utility bill mailing address is the same as the property tax notice mailing address with the only exception being for strata properties which have one account for multiple property owners. Under these circumstances, the utility bill is mailed to the strata corporation or their appointed representative.

If the mailing address on your utility bill or tax statement is incorrect, we require notification of the change in writing (changes of address provided to other District departments are not sufficient).

Changes to a mailing address will update the address for both your tax and utility notices.

IMPORTANT: Your change of address may not be reflected on your next notice, depending on the date we receive your change of address. Up to date information on your utility account is always available through MyDistrict.


An owner may choose to add a tenant to the utility bill account. A written request must be received in our office and must include the full name of the tenant. A copy of the utility bill will be mailed to the property owner at the address provided to us. All utility bills remain the responsibility of the property owner and any amounts outstanding as of December 31st will be transferred to Arrears of Taxes and interest will be added from that time until payment is received.

Special Meter Reading Request

If you are purchasing or selling a home in West Vancouver, please ensure that a special meter reading on the property is completed prior to settlement. This will ensure that the water used by the previous owners is billed up to the completion date.

To request a special meter reading, do the following:

The Special Meter Reading fee is currently $75, which will be included in your final bill and faxed to the solicitor.

Typically, the seller's solicitor will arrange for a special meter reading. New owners should be aware that utility accounts never close and transfer with the property; therefore, a previous owner’s unpaid bill will become your responsibility.

IMPORTANT: If you are enrolled in the Auto-Debit Payment Plan but have just sold your property, you must notify the Finance Department in writing to terminate your participation in the plan. Please complete and return the Auto-Debit Cancellation Form to stop future withdrawals for the property's utility account.

Please note the following:

  • A special meter reading should be requested at least TWO WEEKS PRIOR to the meter reading date
  • Readings are not available on weekends or statutory holidays
  • If your request cannot be accommodated, you will be faxed or emailed a new reading date. The reassigned date will be considered acceptable unless we are notified in writing otherwise.
  • If the meter is not accessible, an estimate will be provided.
Your Quarterly Utility Bill Explained

Your quarterly utility bill incorporates a base charge for fixed operating costs, and a variable component representing how much you actually consume.

For single family residential properties, charges are calculated using a tiered water rate structure with increasing cost-per-cubic metre after different thresholds are passed. Sewer volume charges are based on indoor water use, calculated by water consumption from October to March.

For multi-family and commercial properties, charges for water and sewer are calculated based on each cubic meter of consumption.

How specific rates are applied will vary depending on how much water you use, and what type of service connection you have.

Costs for Service

Utility rates are set each year by Council.

Solid Waste Bylaw

Waterworks Regulation Bylaw

Sewer and Drainage Utility Fee Bylaw

Here is a breakdown of the approximate quarterly charges for your utilities:

Water Charges

There is a base charge of approximately $63 per quarter for single-family homes and additional charges are measured in metres cubed: $1.15/m3 for the first 60 cubic metres, $1.55/m3 for the next 120 cubic metres and $1.93/m3 for any additional usage.

Multi-Family Residential – Apartments and condominium complexes experience less fluctuation in their water consumption; however, on average they require higher flow capacities. Rates for this sector are $1.33/m3. If you are a resident in an apartment or condominium, water bills will most likely be managed by your property manager.

Commercial – Business usage is the most consistent across the seasons, but on average requires the highest flow capacity. Rates for this sector are $1.33/m3. Depending on how the building is serviced, water bills may be handled by a property manager

Sewer Charges

Base Drainage Levy: The base drainage levy depends on the type of property (single family residential, multi-family or commercial). This charge covers a portion of fixed costs to the storm drainage system. The typical single family home will see a base drainage levy of $100.43 per quarter.

Base Sewer Charge: The base sewer charge depends on the type of property (single family residential, multi-family or commercial). This charge covers a portion of fixed costs to the sewer utility. The typical single family home will see a base charge of $31.64 per quarter.

Volume Charge: Sewer fees are charged in cubic metres. The rate for all property types is $2.02/m3. For single family homes, indoor water use is calculated to be the equivalent of consumption during the winter months. The volume is based on actual water used in the fourth quarter of 2016 (October – December) and first quarter of 2017 (January – March), annualized and charged in quarterly payments. For multi-family and commercial properties, indoor water use is equivalent to actual water consumption – there is relatively little to no outdoor use. The volume charge for sewer will be based on actual water use for that quarter.


Finance Department


MyDistrict is 24/7

MyDistrict offers online customer service that can answer your utility questions:

  • Did I make my utility payment?
  • What were my utility bills last year?
  • Can I receive my utility bill electronically?
  • What was my water consumption last month?


Didn't get your bill?

Utility bills for January 1 to March 31 were mailed in April.

Payment is due May 31.

You are responsible for paying your utility fees whether or not you receive a utility bill. If you do not receive your utility bill, contact the Finance Department.